Application Guidelines :
If you are interested in applying, please read through the following participation conditions for Talent Campus Tokyo 2012.
Your application for Talent Campus Tokyo will only be processed if you meet the following requirements:
a) You have an East-Asian / Southeast-Asian nationality or are residing in this region.
b) You are fluent in the English language.
c) You have not previously participated in Talent Campus Tokyo.
d) You fill out the application form correctly and entirely in English. In case you are selected as participant, please be aware that your data will be published on our website as provided by you.
e) You are a director and/or producer.
f) You have directed and/or produced max. 1-2 short and/or feature films.
g) You have submitted a complete application, including a sample of work.
h) You are able to attend during the whole period of the Talent Campus Tokyo.
Please note that the application is individual. We cannot accept team applications. You must have obtained the consent of the other copyright owners for the use of the work sample submitted as stated below.
The application consists of three parts
Part 1: Online application
First you must accept the conditions for participating in the Talent Campus Tokyo. You will then proceed to the online application form, which you must complete in English.
Part 2: Submit a sample of work
2.1 For Directors:
You have to send in ONE of the following items as a sample of your work.
Your film material should be max. 15 minutes in length. The sample can either be a film made specifically for the Talent Campus application, less than 15 minutes short film or an excerpt from some feature film which you worked for previously. The sample should be in English, or subtitled in English. It should highlight your creativity rather than a certain theme or topic. Choose a clip that shows what you're capable of professionally.
Technical specifications for films:
We prefer to receive your film via upload as a digital file. The file may not exceed 750 MB, and should be encoded as QUICKTIME (recommended format) or MPEG4, multiplexed (audio and video in one file)
*In case you have some trouble to upload the sample, we also accept receiving the film on VHS, Mini-DV (NTSC). In this case, you should send us a DVD-R with MPEG 2 or MPEG4 files as well. We are not responsible to convert your film to a data.
2.2 For Producers:
Your sample of work should be a comprehensive report of the films you have produced so far. It should refer to the films' production process: development, theatrical release, box office or participation in film festivals. The maximum length is 5 pages, in single PDF file.
Part 3: Project Presentation
The Talent Campus Tokyo offers, in addition to the general programme like lectures or master classes, a special 'Project Presentation' programme. This is an opportunity to try and learn how to present your project to industry professionals. We invite all applicants to present a project.
The project must be a feature (60 minutes or more in length) for theatrical release and suitable for an international co-production. You have to fill out the online application form, and in addition send by e-mail a 5 page treatment/synopsis for this feature in English, in single PDF document. If you are selected for the Talent Campus Tokyo, you have to send us one page resume of the project till the first week of October for the Campus booklet.
Your application to the above-mentioned 'Project Presentation' programme will not be further considered if you are not selected for the Talent Campus Tokyo.
C) Further regulations
Participant's film material or sample of work
1) The participant hereby agrees that his/her photograph and data may be published on the website and in the magazine of the Talent Campus Tokyo as provided in the 'Presentation' area of the online application form. (This can be customized by the participant at any time by logging into his/her profile.)
2) The participant agrees that his/her sample of work submitted to the Talent Campus Tokyo may be shown publicly at the Talent Campus Tokyo, and streamed on the website of the Talent Campus Tokyo or related organizations and/or sponsors of the Talent Campus Tokyo.
3) The participant agrees that the aforementioned use of his/her work may also include podcasting. This means that his/her work can be accessed and podcast and that he/she can access the works of other talents vice-versa.
4) The participant agrees that his/her submitted sample of work, may be published by the Talent Campus Tokyo in full length or as an excerpt in print or television or any other multimedia format for promotional purposes of the Talent Campus Tokyo.
5) The participant declares that he/she owns the copyright for the sample of work submitted, according to the relevant national and international regulations. This includes music and sound effects included in sample of work. He/she guarantees that no rights of third parties are violated by the material used in the film or other sample of work submitted. The participant unconditionally and irrevocably declares his/her copyright responsibility towards third parties in case of disputes over copyright violations. In this respect the participant exempts the Talent Campus Tokyo from all claims by third parties.
6) The applicant agrees that his/her work can be presented to parties who are interested in the commercial exploitation of the short film or the work sample submitted. The Talent Campus Tokyo will not negotiate any commercial exploitation of the submitted works without a written agreement from the copyright holder.
7) The Talent Campus Tokyo is not liable for any loss or damage incurred, irrespective of the cause.
8) The submitted sample of work or short film will not be returned.
Please note, when you're sending your sample of work per postal service:
Before sending your sample for the application per post, please check customs regulations and mark clearly on the package: "No commercial value, for cultural purposes only." The value of the contents should be only for customs purposes (not exceeding 15 Euros). The Talent Campus Tokyo will not be responsible for any excess incurred taxes or duties. All postal fees are the responsibility of the SENDER.
The Talent Campus Tokyo 2012 deadline for receipt of your complete application is June 13, 2012. (This is not a postmark date! Please make sure your material arrives in our offices by this day!)
Postal address (for part 2 of the application):
TOKYO FILMeX office
c/o Talent Campus Tokyo
3rd FL, 5-4-14 Akasaka, Minato-ku,
107-0052 Tokyo JAPAN
November 26-December 2, 2012
Location of the event
Yurakucho Asahi Hall.
Selection of participants
Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Talent Campus Tokyo. Applicants selected for participation will be informed by e-mail by Mid September 2012 at the latest. The list of selected participants will be published on our website by this date. You can also consult your selection status anytime by logging into your online profile. There is no legal claim to participate in the Talent Campus Tokyo.
Invitation & travel expenses
Successful applicants will be invited to Talent Campus Tokyo. For participants from outside Japan (see also a) below), the cost of one round-trip economy class air ticket from a major city in the participant's country of residence to Tokyo and accommodation for up to 8 nights in Tokyo will be covered by the organizers. For participants from Japan, only accommodation for up to 8 nights in Tokyo will be covered by the organizers (see also b) below).
Participants will be required to stay at a hotel stipulated by the organizers. Rooms may be shared with several other participants.
a) For participants from outside Japan:
Organizers will cover only the following costs:
-one round-trip economy class air ticket from a major city in the participant's country of residence to Tokyo.
-Accommodation for up to 8 nights.
-Transportation cost between the Tokyo Narita airport and city center.
b)For participants from Japan: Organizers will cover only the following cost.
-Accommodation for up to 8 nights.
Status of the participants
The accreditation allows you to participate in all events of Talent Campus Tokyo.
As a registered participant of the Talent Campus Tokyo 2012 you are automatically accredited to TOKYO FILMeX 2012 taking place in November 2012 (www.filmex.net), and eligible to be provided with a limited amount of tickets for screenings, subject to availability.
After participating in Talent Campus Tokyo, alumni will automatically become part of the worldwide Campus online community and will be able to easily connect to international alumni that participated in previous editions of the Campus International programmes in Berlin, Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, Durban and Sarajevo.
The Talent Campus Tokyo offers, free of charge, a comprehensive programme and many privileges to all participants. Your presence as a Talent on our website is a mark of distinction and a recommendation for film professionals throughout the world. In return we expect your cooperation and daily attendance at the Campus. The Talent Campus Tokyo reserves the right to remove participants from the website who abuse their accreditation, who are repeatedly absent, or who make false statements.
The Talent Campus Tokyo respects each person's right to privacy. We do not buy or distribute personal information or your samples of work for commercial purposes. Your application data and your sample of work will be treated confidentially. Only the staff of the Talent Campus Tokyo has access to your application data. If you are selected to participate in the Talent Campus Tokyo, your profile data and your submitted sample of work, will be used as stated above (C 2-5). In particular, it may be displayed in a database at the Campus and on our website or related areas. The purpose is to improve communication between participants, experts and visitors. The purpose of this website is to encourage participants of the Talent Campus Tokyo and Campus International programmes from all areas of film and to inform the public at large about the Talent Campus Tokyo. We appreciate our visitors, their comments, and their suggestions.
For the avoidance of doubt, this agreement is governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Japan. In the event of any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement, exclusive place of venue shall be Tokyo