Outline of Talents Tokyo 2020:
Title: Talents Tokyo 2020
Dates: From Monday, November 2 to 7, 2020
Application timeline: June 15 to July 15, 2020, 23:59 Japan time.
The submission deadline must be strictly followed. Any late submission will be eliminated from the selection process.
Your application will be processed only if you meet all requirements.
Please read carefully this page and Obligation of Talents Tokyo page (link below) before applying.
>> Obligations of Talents Tokyo
a) You have an East-Asian / Southeast-Asian nationality or are residing in this region.
b) You are fluent in the English language.
c) You have not previously participated in past editions of Talents Tokyo (formerly known as Talent Campus Tokyo or Next Masters Tokyo).
d) You are a director and/or producer that have made max. 1-2 short and/or feature films.
e) You are able to attend during the entire period of the Talents Tokyo.
f) You submitted a complete and accurate application entirely in English, which includes a sample work.
*If you are selected as a participant, your provided data will be published on our website.
** The applications are for individuals. We cannot accept team applications.
*** You must have obtained consent of other copyright owners if you are to use their works for your sample requirement as stated in Terms and Conditions.
The application consists of three parts.
Submit the following items (see below for further instructions):
- Online Application
- Sample of Work (short film or comprehensive report)
Part 1: Online application
1) Accept the regulations for participating in the Talents Tokyo. (Further Regulation below)
2) Proceed to the online application form, which you must complete entirely in English.
* If you registered the “field of work” for your application profile as profession other than Director or Producer, please send us an email before applying.
Part 2: Submit a sample of work
For Directors: Upload ONE sample film instructed as below.
- a) short film made specifically for the Talents Tokyo application or b) an excerpt from some feature film which you worked for previously.
- MAX Length: 15 min
- The sample should be in English, or subtitled in English.
- Choose a clip that shows what you’re capable of professionally. It should highlight your creativity rather than a certain theme or topic (we do not recommend a trailer).
2.2 For Producers: comprehensive report
Submit a comprehensive report of the films you have produced so far.
Refer to the films’ production process: development, theatrical release, box office or participation in film festivals.
MAX Length: 5 pages, in single PDF file.
Part 3: Submit a treatment/ Project Presentation
Upload a single 5page PDF document with your treatment/synopsis of the project in English.
During the program, participants will be required to participate in a ‘Project Presentation’ program in addition to the general program like lectures or screenings. This is an opportunity to learn how to present your project to industry professionals.
The eligible project must be a feature (60 minutes or more in length) for theatrical release and suitable for an international co-production. As the main event of the program, participant will publicly present his/her own project which will be eligible for the Talents Tokyo Award.
Part 4: Additional Assignments
Once selected to the program around late September, you will be obligated to send in additional assignments below:
– your one page bio with photos (due early-October)
– 3min video of your sample works (due early October)
– one page outline of your project (due mid-October)
– first draft of the script (due end of October)
– presentation materials (due end of October)
Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Talents Tokyo.
Applicants selected will be informed via e-mail by end of September 2020 at the latest. The list of selected participants will be published on our website by this date. You can also consult your selection status anytime by logging into your online profile.
There is no legal claim to participate in Talents Tokyo.
C) Further Regulations:
Participant’s film material or sample of work
1) The participant hereby agrees that his/her photograph and data may be published on the Talents Tokyo website and magazine as provided in the ‘Presentation’ area of the online application form. (This can be customized by the participant at any time by logging into his/her profile.)
2) The participant agrees that his/her sample of work submitted to the Talents Tokyo may be shown publicly at Talents Tokyo, and streamed on Talents Tokyo website or related organizations and/or sponsors of Talents Tokyo.
3) The participant agrees that the use of his/her work may also include podcasting. This means that his/her work can be accessed and that he/she can access the works of other talents vice-versa.
4) The participant agrees that his/her submitted sample of work, may be published by Talents Tokyo in full length or as an excerpt in print or television or any other multimedia format for promotional purposes of Talents Tokyo.
5) The participant declares that he/she owns the copyright for the sample of work submitted, according to the relevant national and international regulations. This includes music and sound effects included in sample of work. He/she guarantees that no rights of third parties are violated by the material used in the film or other sample of work submitted. The participant unconditionally and irrevocably declares his/her copyright responsibility towards third parties in case of disputes over copyright violations. In this respect, the participant exempts Talents Tokyo from all claims by third parties.
6) The applicant agrees that his/her work can be presented to parties who are interested in the commercial exploitation of the short film or the work sample submitted. Talents Tokyo will not negotiate any commercial exploitation of the submitted works without a written agreement from the copyright holder.
Talents Tokyo respects each person’s right to privacy. We do not buy or distribute personal information or your samples of work for commercial purposes. Your application data and your sample of work will be treated confidentially. Data are saved on the server of Berlinale Talents. Only staffs of Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee (TOKYO FILMeX) and Berlin Talents has access to your application data. If you are selected to participate in Talents Tokyo, your profile data and your submitted sample of work, will be used as stated above (C 2-5).
In particular, it may be displayed in a database at Talents Tokyo and on our website or related areas. The purpose is to improve communication between participants, experts and visitors. The purpose of this website is to encourage participants of Talents Tokyo and Talents International programs from all areas of film and to inform the public at large about Talents Tokyo. We appreciate our visitors, their comments, and their suggestions.
For the avoidance of doubt, this agreement is governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Japan. In the event of any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement, exclusive place of venue shall be Tokyo.
Organizers: Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Arts Council Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture), and Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee (TOKYO FILMeX)
In Cooperation with: Berlinale Talents
In Collaboration with: Goethe Institute Tokyo
Talents Tokyo, c/o TOKYO FILMeX office