Outline of Talents Tokyo 2023:
Title: Talents Tokyo 2023
Dates: From Monday, November 20 to Saturday, 25, 2023
Venue: Yurakucho Asahi Hall, Tokyo, Japan. (TBA)
Planned application timeline: May 1 12:00 to 31, 23:59, 2023 Japan time.
Your application will be processed only if you meet all requirements.
Please read carefully this page and the “Obligation of Talents Tokyo” before applying.
a) You have an East-Asian / Southeast-Asian nationality or are residing in this region.
b) You are fluent in the English language.
c) You have not previously participated in past editions of Talents Tokyo (formerly known as Talent Campus Tokyo or Next Masters Tokyo).
d) You are a director that have made maximum 1-2 feature films or an upcoming producer.
e) You are able to attend during the entire period of the Talents Tokyo.
*If you are selected as a participant, your provided data will be published on our website.
** The applications are for individuals. We cannot accept team applications.
The application consists of three parts.
Submit the following items (see below for further instructions):
- Online Application
- Sample of Work (short film or comprehensive report)
- Treatment including financial report
Part 1: Online application
1) Accept the regulations for participating in the Talents Tokyo. (Further and Legal Regulation below in section D)
2) Proceed to the online application form, which you must complete entirely in English.
* If you registered the “field of work” for your application profile as profession other than Director or Producer, please send us an email before applying.
Part 2: Submit a sample of work
2.1 For Directors: Upload ONE sample film
- the sample may be: a) short film made specifically for the Talents Tokyo application or b) an excerpt from some short or feature film which you have worked on previously.
- Running time may NOT exceed 15 min
- The sample must be in English or subtitled in English.
2.2 For Producers: comprehensive report
Submit a comprehensive report of the films you have produced so far.
Refer to the films’ production process: development, theatrical release, box office and/or participation in film festivals.
MAX Length: 5 pages, in single PDF file.
* For both directors and producers, you must have obtained consent of other copyright owners if you are to use their works for your sample requirement as stated in Terms and Conditions (see section D).
Part 3: Submit a treatment for the Project Presentation
During Talents Tokyo, participants must participate in the ‘Project Presentation’ program as an opportunity to learn how to present a project in development to industry professionals and make valuable contacts with possible cooperation partners and financiers. Additionally, the presented project is eligible for the Talents Tokyo Award. The eligible project must be a feature film in development (60 minutes or more in length) for theatrical release and suitable for an international co-production.
Upload a single PDF document with a 5 page treatment/synopsis, a 5 page script excerpt, and an 1 page financial plan of the project in English for the ‘Project Presentation Program’.
C) Selection Process
Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Talents Tokyo.
Applicants selected will be informed via e-mail by end of September 2023 at the latest. The list of selected participants will be published on our website by this date. You can also consult your selection status anytime by logging into your online profile.
There is no legal claim to participate in Talents Tokyo.
Assignments after Selection:
Participants of Talents Tokyo will be obliged to send in assignments as below (due dates tba):
- an one page bio with photos
- 3 min video of your sample works
- one page outline of your project
- first draft of the script
- presentation materials
D) Further and Legal Regulations:
About participant’s film material or sample of work
1) The participant hereby agrees that his/her photograph and data may be published on the Talents Tokyo website and magazine as provided in the ‘Presentation’ area of the online application form. (This can be customized by the participant at any time by logging into his/her profile.)
2) The participant agrees that his/her sample of work submitted to the Talents Tokyo may be shown publicly at Talents Tokyo, and streamed on Talents Tokyo website or related organizations and/or sponsors of Talents Tokyo.
3) The participant agrees that the aforementioned use of his/her work may also include podcasting. This means that his/her work can be accessed and that he/she can access the works of other talents vice-versa.
4) The participant agrees that his/her submitted sample of work, may be published by Talents Tokyo in full length or as an excerpt in print or television or any other multimedia format for promotional purposes of Talents Tokyo.
5) The participant declares that he/she owns the copyright for the sample of work submitted, according to the relevant national and international regulations. This includes music and sound effects included in sample of work. He/she guarantees that no rights of third parties are violated by the material used in the film or other sample of work submitted. The participant unconditionally and irrevocably declares his/her copyright responsibility towards third parties in case of disputes over copyright violations. In this respect, the participant exempts Talents Tokyo from all claims by third parties.
6) The applicant agrees that his/her work can be presented to parties who are interested in the commercial exploitation of the short film or the work sample submitted. Talents Tokyo will not negotiate any commercial exploitation of the submitted works without a written agreement from the copyright holder.
Talents Tokyo respects each person’s right to privacy. We do not buy or distribute personal information or your samples of work for commercial purposes. Your application data and your sample of work will be treated confidentially. Data are saved on the server of Berlinale Talents. Only staffs of Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee and Berlinale Talents has access to your application data. If you are selected to participate in Talents Tokyo, your profile data and your submitted sample of work, will be used as stated above (C 2-5).
In particular, it may be displayed in a database at Talents Tokyo and on our website or related areas. The purpose is to improve communication between participants, experts and visitors. The purpose of this website is to encourage participants of Talents Tokyo and Talents International programs from all areas of film and to inform the public at large about Talents Tokyo. We appreciate our visitors, their comments, and their suggestions.
For the avoidance of doubt, this agreement is governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Japan. In the event of any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement, exclusive place of venue shall be Tokyo.
Organizers: Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Arts Council Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture), and Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee
In Cooperation with: Berlinale Talents
In Collaboration with: Goethe Institute Tokyo
Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee
*Note: Depending on the situation of COVID-19 cases in Japan, Talents Tokyo 2023 will be held online.